Sunday, November 05, 2006

Why Do I Write?

I write to educate and to communicate.

To understand something properly, it is important to read several viewpoints. Then, from these, draw your own conclusions. Do not trust any single source for the whole truth. Do cross check what you read and critically evaluate it to see if it rings true.

At a speech about bicycles and computers for the 1993 LAW National Bicycle Rally in Pennsylvania, I extended the quote "The pen is mightier than the sword" from Edward Bulwer-Lytton to read "The pen is mightier than the sword, and the computer is the mightiest pen yet invented by mankind."

I am pleased that computers and the Internet have greatly expanded the ability of us all to write and to communicate. The US Constitution protects a US citizen's right to bear arms (the second amendment). I believe it is much more important that it continues to protect our right to bear a pen (the first amendment). Freedom of speech is critical to the proper functioning of a democracy.

While I strive to make my writings as accurate, truthful, concise, and clear as possible, I am only human.

Thus, I offer you, the reader, my writings on this blog and hope you find them useful on their own or in conjunction with the writings of others. Peer review is the best way (perhaps the only way?) to build a solid reputation of trustworthiness.

If you find inaccuracies, please let me know. If you find accuracies please let others know and link to my blog.

Sincerely,
Tim Oey
Sunnyvale, CA

Copyright 2006 Tim Oey

This work is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License. To view a copy of this license, visit http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/2.5/ or send a letter to Creative Commons, 543 Howard Street, 5th Floor, San Francisco, California, 94105, USA.

No comments: